Our next meeting will be held at the Crown Point Civic Center (Clark and East Streets) on April 27, 2016 beginning at
Our next meeting will be held at the Crown Point Civic Center (Clark and East Streets) on April 27, 2016 beginning at
The following are a list of winners in the CPHS Alumni Scholarship Raffle
$1,000 – Ron Thomas; $500 – Janelle Haack; $300 -Karin Pettit (who donated the money back to the scholarship fund); $100 – Doug Conquest; $50 – Chester Rybicki;
and $50 – Bob Hoffman (who gave the money back to the scholarship fund). Congratulations to the winners and a GREAT Big Thank You to all that participated.
Saturday, March 5, 2016 the Crown Point Boys Basketball Team held off Valparaiso High School in 2 overtimes to capture the Sectional Basketball Crown. Congratulations to Coach Clint Swan, his staff, players, managers, cheerleaders, parents and fans. Beat East Chicago Central, but lost to Warsaw in The Regional Final. Great Season!
We are proud to announce the nominees to be inducted into the Crown Point High School Alumni Association Halls of Fame.
Former students – Andrew C. Dillon, Class of 1986; Dr. Joseph Kacmar, Class of 1968; Eston “Bud” Perry,
Class of 1954; Keith Perry, Class of 1956; Barbara J. Toman, Class of 1979 and Michael Toman, Class of 1972.
Former Teachers – Jerry Caravana, 1967-2007; Charlotte Johnsen, 1977-1994; David P. Schaeffer, 1957-1994;
and Scott Vlink, 1979-2016.
The six outstanding Bulldogs and the four outstanding Bulldog Teachers will be entered into their respective
CPHS Alumni Hall of Fame on Saturday, April 16, 2016.
The Crown Point Girls Gymnastic Team qualified for the State Meet this Saturday with a second place finish in the regional. Coach Amy Pysh and her squad will battle for the state crown for the first time since 2005. GO Lady Bulldogs. This great squad and coaches brought home a 4th Place Finish IN The State Of Indiana. Great Season!
Senior Hannah Raspopovich (Crown Point, Ind.) was named the Mid-American Conference Senior Swimmer of the Year and First Team All Conference. Hannah helped lead the Akron Zips the their third consecutive Mid-American Conference Crown with her
1st place as part of the 200 yard relay; 2nd place in the 50 yard freestyle; 4th place in the 400 yard breaststroke; 2nd place in the 400 yard medley relay and 7th place in the 100 yard freestyle. A Great ending to 4 great ears of swimming at the college level.
The music department at Crown Point High School will have a tough act to follow this coming school year based on the success of the 2014-15 band, orchestra and choir groups.
Many students received gold medals at the Indiana State School Music Association regional competition which qualified them for ISSMA state contests.
The CPHS choral department boasted two ensembles and nine soloists with gold medal rankings at state. The Band came back from State with 15 gold medals. The orchestra sent 24 soloists and six ensembles and returned with 45 gold medals at state.
The music department was also a recipient of the ISSMA All-Music Award for the 2014-15 school year – one of only 13 high schools statewide to receive a Total Department Award. To recognize this outstanding achievement, ISSMA presented the school with a special banner to display
The Crown Point High School Alumni Association is pleased to announce the new Board of Directors. These Crown Point graduates will serve from June, 2015 through May, 2017. They are as follows: Terry C. Lee, (’67) President; Ron Hampton, (’69) Vice President; Elaine VanDenburgh Raker, (’71) Treasurer; Christine Arnold Lee, (’69) Secretary; Chester Rybicki, (’67) Board Member at Large; Roger Blake, (’67) Board Member at Large; Lynn Poulton Clay, (’67) Board Member at Large; Wayne Raker, (’69) Board Member at Large; and Charles “Bud” Bowman, (Retired Teacher) Board Member at Large.
1954 Crown Point High School Grad, Eston “Bud” Perry and wife to receive Honorary Doctorate degrees in Humanities.
A 1961 graduate of the College of Health and Human Services at Indiana State University, Perry married later that year a Purdue University grad he met when she visited a cousin on the Indiana State campus. Perry and his wife, Alice “Annie,” have three children — Julie Anne Heck (Steven), Jeffrey John Perry (Jennifer), and Jennifer Lee Norris (Travis).
Perry put the same determination that got him through college to work to become a successful businessman and entrepreneur. Chairman of the Board of Oakley Corporation — a commercial real estate development and management company in Terre Haute and Winter Park, Fla. — Perry also oversees a family-run foundation, the Hollie and Anna Oakley Foundation.
Through the foundation, the Perrys have been generous, longtime supporters of Indiana State, helping the campus, programs and students flourish. The foundation has been responsible for the naming of Oakley Plaza and the Basketball Practice Court.
In honor of their longstanding commitment to the university, the Perrys will receive honorary doctorates of humanities at the spring commencement ceremony this month.
“I think it is important to give back to your university, to support it however you can,” Perry said. “It has helped you have success in your life, and you want to help other students have that same opportunity.”
As for advice for young people, Perry said he would encourage everyone to get more education and to pursue their goals no matter how unattainable those goals may seem.
“You can go to college. It is not that insurmountable,” he said. “Decide on what you want to do and go after it. You have to be determined to work for it if you want to succeed.”
Crown Point Grads Ted Hein (’87 and Tracy Curtis Hein (’87) are proud of their daughter Hannah (’14) who is attending St. Mary of the Woods College in Terre Haute for high academic honors (3.9 gpa). Hannah is also a scholarship recipient for riding on the western equestrian team. She will compete in the IHSA (Intercollegiate Horse Association) Nationals in Massachusetts. She is also co-captain of the team.
Congratulations Hannah, Ted and Tracy, all BULLDOG PROUD. Just In: 2015 IHSA National Reserve Champion novice division HMS team rider.
Alyssa Harvey, a senior at Crown Point High School was recognized Wednesday, April 15th at the IASP Indiana Academic All-Star Awards Ceremony at the Indiana Roof Ballroom in Indianapolis. Students are selected based on a mathematical formula that combines the SAT/ACT composite score and grade-point average for seven semesters. The selection committee also considers the students extracurricular activities related to academics, nonacademic and student leadership and community service involvement. The state of Indiana is divided into five regions and the nominees are grouped by region. The selection committee is made up of educators and civic leaders from the five regions.
The Crown Point High School Academic Super Bowl Team has had a very successful year. They took first place in all competitions and first place overall at the Hobart Invite in early March. Then, last Thursday, March 19th, they won the DAC championship!! The team placed 1st in English, 1st in Science, 1st in Social Studies, 2nd in Math, 2nd in Fine Arts, 3rd in Interdisciplinary. The team will receive a traveling plaque that will be displayed at Crown Point High School until next year’s competition where they will try to win again and keep the plaque. The team will be competing again April and the winners will go to the State competition in May. Team members are Ari Amelse, Emily Fender, Saym Imtiaz, Eric Kim, Joey Krampen, Josh Mazur, John Sakaleros, Simone Siew, Ryan Sizemore, Susie Szymanski, Kyle Venditti, Justin Waran, and Lily Wisniewski.
Crown Point High School Student Alaa Abdeldaiem was announced as Indiana’s Student Journalist of the Year.
Alaa is the school newspaper editor and will represent the state of Indiana for National Student Journalist
of the Year which will be announced next month in Denver.
Inklings co-editor Christina Winfrey was also one of the seven state finalists.
On Saturday March 7th the Crown Point High School VEX Robotics Team 1233 Underdogs sent five teams to compete in a field of the top 40 teams in Indiana at the State Championship in Indianapolis. Teams C and F advanced to the semifinals with Team F advancing into the Final round finishing as State Finalists and securing a spot in the World Competition in Louisville Kentucky. In Kentucky they will compete in the VRC division against 410 VEX Robotics Teams from all across the United States and 30 Countries in April. This is the 6th year in a row that CPHS VEX Robotics have advanced to the World Championship. Members of the team are: Adrian Brown, Nathan Halsey, Kevin Parkinson, and Matt Pochron
On March 9th, students who comprise the staff of Crown Point High School’s CPTV Media
(Technical Communication course) traveled to the University of Indianapolis for the 2015 Indiana
Association of School Broadcasters state conference and competition. The staff submitted their
January 28, 2015 episode of CPTV (which can be viewed at www.cptvmedia.com) to be considered
by numerous TV broadcasting professionals. Over 400 entries were submitted to this year’s competition.
After winning the School Newscast state championship last year, the staff of CPTV repeated as
state champions for the 2015 Best School Newscast by once again edging out schools such as
Carmel High School, Ben Davis High School, Franklin Central High School, and Martinsville High School.
Further, the staff exceeded last year’s results, winning 2 additional 2015 state championships
for Best Radio Sportscast (senior Raquelle Majors) and Best TV Show Opening.
The staff was also named runner up in the Corporate Video category.
The staff of CPTV consists of the following students: Sophomores Haley Bramewell and
Drew Zimmerman; juniors Blake Bonin, Tiffany Dewes, Riley Geoghegan,
Brianna Rhodes, Johnny Supan and Abbey Wellman; and seniors Alexis Berdine,
Kelsea Costello, Megan Fernandez, Valerie Jones, Brooke Kiran, Tony Lourenco, Raquelle Majors,
Zach Pierce, Nick Sansone, and Tina Winfrey. CPTV is advised by Chris Gloff & Brent Barber
White or Red Crown Point High School Alumni Shirts are available at MEMORY KEEPERS, now on Broadway across from Stracks.
Present your Lifetime Membership Card and receive
10% OFF. Closed Sunday and Monday.
Mail your dues to: Crown Point High School Alumni Association,
P O Box 240, Crown Point, IN 46308
1. Violet M. Krapf Doty – Class of 1937
2. James Hosfeld- Class of 1968
3. Irene A. Doty – Class of 1967
4. Barb Hinkson Sobierajski – Class of 1970
5. Wendy Croft Brissette – Class of 1969
6. Deborah Graves Deaton – Class of 1969
7. James DePaoli – Class of 1969 *
8. Charles (Bud) Bowman – Retired Teacher *
9. William Machacek – Class of 1957
10. Donna Moser – Retired Teacher *
11. Cynthia Agans – Class of 1966
12. Peg Nelson – Class of 1968
13. Terry Lee – Class of 1967
14. Mary Jean Niemeyer Smith – Class of 1966
15. Thomas May – Retired Teacher *
16. Nancy May – Retired Teacher *
17. Donna Heckel Coleman – Class of 1969
18. Alice Lauterbur – Retired Teacher *
19. Jerry Holcomb – Retired Teacher *
20. Christine Arnold Lee – Class of 1969
21. Paul Georgas – Retired Teacher *
22. Robert Conard – Retired Teacher *
23. William Carroll, PhD– Class of 1969 *
24. Jerry Smith – Class of 1983
25. Ron Hampton – Class of 1969
26. Dana Henderson Zurbriggen – Class of 1987
27. Chester Rybicki – Class of 1967
28. William Logan – Class of 1965 *
29. Doug Logan – Class of 1970
30. Tim Mantel – Class of 1967
31. Sheila Graham Mantel – Class of 1968
32. Dr. Joseph Kacmar – Class of 1968 *
33. Barbara Wild Kacmar – Class of 1968
34. Jeffery L. Wilkinson – Class of 1967
35. Roger Blake – Class of 1967
36. Dee Burke Lang – Class of 1968
37. Karen Lynn Smith – Class of 1970
38. Paul Zurbriggen – Class of 1988
39. Jerry A. Caravana – Retired Teacher *
40. Peter Leets – Class of 1964
41. Robert Hobson – Class of 1953
42. David Adams – Class of 1986
43. Wayne Raker – Class of 1969
44. Elaine M. VanDenburgh. Raker- Class of 1971
45. Joseph Heuer – Retired Teacher *
46. Gary Paulsen – Class of 1968
47. Mark Mallatt – Class of 1968
48. Sandra Arseneau – Class of 1968
49. Jewell Everett Sheldon – Class of 1968
50. Penny Keegan Ivey – Class of 1968
51. Wayne (Doc) Hurt – Class of 1968
52. Marion Kellum – Retired Teacher *
53. Keith Iddings – Class of 1981
54. Charles Lee, PhD– Class of 1966
55. Glenn Raymond Cooper, Jr. – Class of 1967
56. Sandra Schofield Bobrowski – Class of 1969
57. Robert M. Corbin – Class of 1968
58. Rebecca “Becky” Isaac Shearman – Class of 1969
59. Fred Blake – Class of 1969
60. Paul VanDenburgh – Class of 1966
61. Elaine Hockbaum VanDenburgh – Class of 1967
62. Bob Lamphier – Class of 1964
63. Nancy Cowan Eksten – Class of 1984
64. Richard “Dick” Gordon – Retired Teacher *
65. Alan Vandever – Class of 1967
66. Lynn Poulton Clay – Class of 1967
67. Bill Vrehas – Class of 1968
68. George Tachtiris- Retired Teacher *
69. Tim Heidbreder – Class of 1966
70. Robert Rees – Class of 1959 *
71. Dr. Merit Erickson Lemke – Class of 1984 *
72. Drue Shults Samuelson – Class of 1967
73. Penny Blake Batson – Class of 1967
74. Terry Thompson – Class of 1965
75. Dan Witten – Class of 1989
76. David Warne – Class of 1992
77. Pam Short Capps – Class of 1966
78. Sharon Baker Palen – Class of 1967
79. Kathy Foster Stanley – Class of 1986
80. Kristine Keck Van Dyke – Class of 1968
81. Anthony Panozzo- Class of 1969
82. Debbie Metsch Lilly- Class of 1982
83. Lee Dillabaugh- Class of 1967
84. Carla Blake Hack- Class of 1978
85. Peter Ventsra – Class of 1964
86. Collin Wirtz Lee – Class of 1986
87. Gerald Charles – Class of 1948
88. Tiffany Raker Irving- Class of 1996
89. Nancy Ruby – Class of 1957
90. Mark Lambert – Class of 1969
91. Allyson Carnahan Boomsma- Class of 2000
92. Deborah Taylor Cuffia – Retired Teacher *
93. Michelle Ferrell Sutton – Class of 1987
94. Debbie Hunt Constant – Class of 1973
95. Jacquelyn Sohl- Class of 1969
96. John Fraire- Class of 1973 *
97. Jerry Albertson- Class of 1971
98. Mary Catherine Georgas- Retired Teacher
99. Jeanann Georgas Freier- Class of 1979
100. Shannon Riley- Class of 1990
101. Kay Carnahan Sullivan- Class of 1971
102. Marla Long Hreno- Class of 1969
103. Dennis A. Robison- Class of 1964
104. W. E. Fairchild- Class of 1975
105. Lynda Doty- Class of 1975
106. Ruth Schlemmer Whiley- Class of 1967
107. Linda Lytle Andrew- Class of 1968
108. Jeryl Dickinson- Class of 1964
109. Smelia Latinovich Kairns- Class of 1946
110. Tom Liss- Class of 1966
111. Don Carnahan- Class of 1966
112. Jerry Frederick- Class of 1967
113. Ron Thomas- Class of 1959 *
114. Sandy Webb Judkins- Class of 1970
115. Daniel Johnsen- Retired Teacher
116. Nancy Kolish Barsic- Class of 1970
117. Keith Perry, PhD- Class of 1956 *
118. Eston “Bud” Perry, PhD- Class of 1954 *
119. Barbara J. Toman- Class of 1979 *
120. Scott Vlink – Retired Teacher *
121. Lisa Bowman Hargreaves- Class of 1981
122. Diane Hooks DePaoli- Class of 1962
123. Roy Casper- Class of 1963
124. Michael Toman, PhD-Class of 1972 *
125. Ron Pierce- Class of 1965
* – Hall of Fame Member
We have also been cracking open the vault and looking for Crown Point High School memorabilia to display in the new high school! Please contact CrownPointAlumni@yahoo.com if you have any items to donate.
The mission of the Crown Point High School Alumni Association is to develop and maintain a close relationship between Crown Point Community Schools, its constituents, and its alumni for their mutual benefit. The Association is committed to, and involved in, the support and well-being of Crown Point Community Schools and its alumni.
All persons who have attended Crown Point Community Schools as listed by the registrar are defined as being alumni, and those who have taken part in the educational process at all levels, both faculty and staff, are defined as being alumni.